Data and Politics Project
Continued developments in digital technologies have given rise to a new political modus operandi. Politically active groups around the globe are using tools and techniques from data-driven marketing, behavioural psychology, and digital campaign consultants to advance their agendas, promote their campaigns and influence voters. The Data and Politics project aims to engage key stakeholders - from election monitors to voters - in understanding which political entities are using what types of data, how their various methods work, and how they are affecting political structures worldwide.
Tactical Tech is looking for a committed and engaged individual to join our Data and Politics team as a Project Coordinator.
If you wish to engage with the challenges of data-driven technologies in the space of formal and informal politics, you have great organisational skills, and a hands-on approach to producing outputs this would be a perfect match!
In this role you will be responsible for coordinating Data & Politics project components
- including organising events (online and offline) for diverse professional audiences including policy makers, election monitors, artists, and educators,
- communicating with international partners and supporting them in localising our materials,
- and supporting the production of outreach materials based on our research.
The project coordinator will also
- perform a wide range of administrative, logistic and coordination tasks related to the project such as scheduling meetings, minute taking, and following up with relevant stakeholders
- and support outreach and digital communications for the project – both directly and also by providing resources, plans and support for partner social media and digital activity.
Alongside the administrative tasks, the role has space for developing skills
- to represent the project at speaking events, to contribute to strategic conversations, and to write outreach materials based on existing research and literature.
Therefore, it will be a benefit if the applicant has an interest, experience and basic understanding of the following topics and their social implications: personal data and human rights, online influence and democracy, strategic communications in elections and the digital technologies behind them.
If you enjoy working in an international environment on relevant and timely questions and challenges regarding technology, you are a great communicator and have experience in planning and coordinating processes with various stakeholders, follow the details of this call and apply to work with us at Tactical Tech!
- 2+ years experience working in project coordination preferably with an international context.
- Experience in designing and organising international trainings and events, offline and online.
- Interest and basic understanding of issues related to the intersection of tech, data, democracy and civil liberties.
- Great organizational skills as well as an independent, hands-on, reliable, and quality-oriented way of working.
- Experience of working with partners and stakeholders from different professions in an international environment and a sensitivity to political situations and different views of the world.
- Experience and interest in communications work, like promotional materials, activities, creative ideas for expending project outreach.
- Bachelor or Master degree in Social and Political Science, Cultural and Media Studies or digital technology; or equivalent experience, education or training in Data Science, AI, digital technology would be an asset.
- Fluent English, additional languages (among others French, Spanish) are a distinct advantage.
- Demonstrable commitment to Tactical Tech's mission and values, including an understanding of the geopolitical contexts in which Tactical Tech's work is carried out.
- Collaborative and supportive, committed to an active listening and learning culture.
- Working with integrity and respect, both internally and while representing Tactical Tech externally.
- A full-time position for a limited term, 12-month contract, starting January. We hope to extend this position, depending on available funds and performance.
- Competitive salary within the non-governmental sector in Berlin.
- International, lively and friendly team of engaged professionals.
- A culture of diversity and inclusion, with Berlin-based team members from over 15 countries and nationalities and four continents that bring a variety of professional and personal experiences and dedication to Tactical Tech’s values and goals.
- Flexible work arrangements – core hours and possibility of remote work divided into in-person collaborative meetings and other tasks that can be performed remotely.
- An attractive place to work in the centre of Berlin.
- During the current Covid-19 pandemic, we mainly work remotely with in-person meetings dependent on the developments and restrictions in place.
- Tactical Tech’s team is Berlin-based. Please note that the preference is for candidates with the pre-existing legal right to work in Germany.
If you are interested in the role, but are not sure you fulfill the criteria or have any questions, please feel free to contact us at JOBS@TACTICALTECH.ORG.
Please apply via email to JOBS@TACTICALTECH.ORG, subject line “D&P Project Coordinator” with your CV and a covering letter in PDF format outlining your suitability for the post and your availability by November 25th. Please provide two contacts for references from previous jobs, engagement in a similar position; we would contact them at a later stage of recruitment process with your prior approval.
Only successful candidates will be contacted. Please note if you haven’t been contacted within 14 days from the application deadline, your application has been unsuccessful.
Tactical Tech is an international NGO whose mission is to build capacity at the intersection of human rights and technology in order to create more equitable, democratic and sustainable societies.
We explore how digital technologies affect rights, equity and sustainability and how they alter power structures. We work to build the capacity of civil society organisations and communities worldwide to explore and mitigate the impact of digital technologies on their immediate context and on society at large. Our work informs the responses of key stakeholders, provides practical solutions and enables our audiences to make more informed decisions and act with agency.
Please refer to Kampajobs.de in your application!